I need to start out this post by thanking runningafterale, sheilamariegrimes, and alexiskrystina who have so graciously nominated me for the Versatile Blogger Award, the Linking Hearts Liebster Award and the Very Inspiring Blogger Award, respectively.
You guys. I’m blushing. I’ve never been good at accepting compliments or awards or being the center of…anything, really. So all I can say is thank you. Thank you for letting me know that this little space of mine resonates with you. I’m truly honored.
Apparently there are some rules one must adhere to when accepting these awards, so I’m going to do my best to combine the three here.
Okay, wait, forget that. Things just got a little too complicated for the current state of my brain (tired, obviously). Soooo….I guess I will post the info and rules of all three awards here, and then pass the awards on to some of my fave blogs when I’m done.
The Versatile Blogger Rules:
1) Add The Versatile Blogger award photo on a blog post
2) Thank the person (or animal) who presented you with the award and link back to him or her in your post
3) Share seven things about yourself
4) Pass the award along to 15 favorite bloggers. Contact the chosen bloggers to let them know about the award.
Seven Things About Me:
1. I’m a sister to a big brother.
2. I eat quinoa a lot for lunch but I would rather eat pizza.
3. I was never a cake person until I became a pregnant person. To this day, it’s my absolute favorite treat. As long as there’s icing. Good icing. Something about cake and icing together.
4. I left a little piece of my heart in NYC when we moved back to Indiana shortly before Mia was born. Not a day goes by that I don’t wish we would have stayed a little longer.
5. I’ve been known to shop online when I can’t sleep. I don’t recommend this.
6. I don’t have full movement of my left arm so I was never able to do a cartwheel, something I considered grossly unfair as a child. Now it just makes yoga a little awkward but that doesn’t stop me.
7. I love yoga but I don’t go as much as I’d like because yoga’s expensive ya’ll. Videos just aren’t the same. (However, if you know of a stellar yoga video, I’d love to know. Maybe I’ve just been doing the wrong ones.)
The Linking Hearts Liebster Award Rules:
l. Post The Award on your blog.
2. Thank the blogger who nominated you, and link back to their site.
3. Post 11 random facts about yourself to help us to get to know you better.
4. Respond to the 11 questions the presenter has asked.
5. Nominate 11 new bloggers you consider noteworthy.
6. Post your very own 11 questions to the nominees.
7. Leave a message for your nominees you have chosen.
11 Random Facts:
I know the rules stipulate 11 random facts but I gave you 7 already so I’m doing 4 more here (Look at that, I did math!) because do you really want to know that much about me?
3. I used to have pretty great hair. It was full and thick and long and I could go for days without shampooing. Then I had Mia and a lot of it fell out. And then it grew back more limp and greasy than before. Then I got pregnant with the boys and–oh, joy!–hello, hair of my youth. Then I had the boys and it fell out AGAIN and in greater quantities (handfuls at a time) than after I had Mia. It’s still growing back. My hairstylist recently said, “I have to be honest with you, I’ve never seen someone lose so much hair and have it grow back.” So there’s that.
4. My new and long-term goal is to apply a minimalist approach to my home because the toys are starting to overtake it and I can’t deal anymore. Wish me luck.
The Eleven questions Sheila asked are:
1. What flavor of ice cream do you like?
I try to stick to sorbet but I’ll eat anything with chocolate in it if you twist my arm enough.
2. What’s your favorite memory during junior high school?
Nothing. When I picture the depths of hell I picture junior high school. Am I alone in this?
3. Do you like to sing? Why or why not.
I do but usually Mia tells me to be quiet so she can sing by herself.
4. If you could vacation anywhere on planet Earth, where would you?
Why are we limiting ourselves to planet Earth? Okay, fine. Italy. Or France. Or Ireland. Or a beach. Any beach with some sun will do.
5. What started you blogging?
Muddling through the trenches with infant twins will test your sanity. I needed an outlet. Shortly after the boys turned one, I felt this fog lift and for the first time in a long time I was able to see the beauty of these three little people I have been blessed with. My goal was to capture that joy in this space, hence the name Joy, Lovely Joy.
6. What’s your muse?
My kids (see number 5)
7. How far away is your farthest follower?
I have no idea. I try not to concern myself too much with who’s following me and how many followers and hits I get. I’ve found that when I do my writing becomes stifled and more about what might appeal to the masses rather than what I’m feeling at that time. My favorite posts have been ones that I write from the gut, with little planning and editing.
8. Do you still have a dream?
I do. Several.
9. Was there a teacher in school who made a difference in your life?
Yes. A journalism teacher in high school. He was more of a mentor to his students than a teacher. He doesn’t teach anymore but he’s involved with the local school system. A lot of us still keep in touch with him through Facebook.
10. What makes you laugh?
My kids. My husband. My friends. Funny movies. The Mindy Project. Modern Family. New Girl.
11. Can you see yourself in five years, and where?
I see myself with an 11 year old daughter, 7 year old twin boys, and a dog (because they’ll wear me down eventually). Hopefully a little less skin around the waist and a few more laugh lines around the eyes. I want to be successful in some capacity but first I want to define what that means to me. I want to be a minimalist (or at least more minimalist than I am now), and I want to still practice being mindful of this moment right here right now.
Again, I’m supposed to write seven random facts about myself but I’m going to assume you’re all sick of me by now and just cut to the blogs I’m nominating. I love the blogs listed below. If your blog is one of them please have your pick of which award you’d like to respond to (you’re all worthy of all three). If you go with the Linking Hearts Liebster Award, use Sheila’s questions that she passed on to me. Happy Monday!